Home   |   About Bucks   |   Site Map     Twitter Facebook


Row Officers

Office of the Treasurer

Main - Dog Licenses - Dog Agents - Fishing Licenses - Hunting Licenses - Hotel/Lodging Tax - Small Games of Chance - Bingo

The Treasurer's Office is currently open by appointment only.

Hotel Lodging and Room Rental Tax

Lodging Tax Exempt Form - Hotel Lodging Tax Report - Hotel Lodging Tax Application - Tax Remittance Schedule

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Hotel Lodging
and Room Rental Tax

Q:  What is the tax?

A:  The Lodging Room Rental Tax is a 5% tax applied to any room having at least one bed or sleeping accommodations which is rented for a period less than 30 days.  Under the Bucks County Tourist Promotion Law 73 P.S. 401, the tax is applied to hotel, motel, bed & breakfast, extended stay, cottage and guest house room rentals.  The renting of a room, apartment, or house privately, on-line or through third party brokers is subject to this tax. 

Q: How does the County use the money?

A: These monies are collected on behalf of the Bucks County Conference and Visitors Bureau (www.visitbuckscounty.com).  The monies are to provide the Bureau with funding to market and promote Bucks County in a highly competitive tourism market.

Q: Who must register?

A: Anyone who intends to rent a room with a bed. 

Q: How do I register my lodging?

A: Contact the Bucks County Treasurer’s Office via mail, email (treasurer@buckscounty.org) or telephone at (215) 348-6248.  A welcome packet will be sent containing an application, the applicable forms and the procedures for collecting the tax.  Once the Treasurer’s Office receives the completed application, a County Lodging Room Rental Tax Certificate of Authorization is generated authorizing the establishment to collect the tax.

Q: What is the Hotel Tax rate?

A: The Hotel Room Rental Tax rate in Bucks County is 5% of the gross room rental charge.

Q: Is anyone exempt from the Hotel Room Tax?

A: Yes. Permanent Residents are exempt from this tax. A permanent resident is defined as anyone occupying or possessing the right to occupy a room, for 30 consecutive nights or longer. Pennsylvania State and Federal employees, on official business, are also exempt from this tax.

Q:  How will the implementation of the tax be handled regarding food if it is included in the price of the room? 

A:  The 5% Lodging Room Rental Tax is only applicable to food included in the room rate.  Lodging tax is not applied to food itemized separately from the room rate. 

Q: How do I obtain additional copies of the required tax reporting forms?

A: Tax reporting forms can be obtained from our website (see above).   The forms may also be photo-copied.

Q: How often must I file a lodging tax report?

A: Establishments with greater than 100 rooms are required to report on a monthly basis.  Establishments with less than 100 rooms are required to report on a quarterly basis. 

Q: How do I avoid a late penalty payment?

A: Payments are due by the last business day of the month following the period ending date.  For example, if you are submitting your remittance for the period ending March 31, the payment is due on or before April 30.  The late penalty is 1 ½% compounded monthly on the unpaid balance.  The payment MUST BE postmarked by the last day of the month to avoid the penalty. 

Office of the Treasurer
Kristian Ballerini, Treasurer
David M. Bria, 1st Deputy Treasurer
Nicole M. Schuster
, 2nd Deputy Treasurer
Kelly L. Eberle, Esq., Solicitor

Bucks County Administration Building
55 East Court Street
5th Floor, Administration Building
Doylestown, PA 18901
Phone: 215-348-6244
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
The Treasurer's Office is currently open by appointment only.

Facebook Logo Bucks County Treasurer’s Office @BucksTreasurer