Home   |   About Bucks   |   Site Map     Twitter Facebook


Row Officers

Register of Wills

Main - Fee Bill - Forms - Genealogy/Searches - Glossary - Inheritance TaxMarriage Licenses - Orphans' Court - Public Service - Wills - Public Access

Marriage Licenses

Image of the beginning of the Virtual Marriage License Application Tutorial Video 

Bucks County Register of Wills Linda Bobrin Announces Pilot Project to Open Probate Estates and Seek Marriage Licenses Via Videoconferencing

Video Tutorial of the Virtual Marriage License Application Process

The ongoing Judicial Emergency for Bucks County has closed the Register of Wills Office for walk-in service. Scheduled appointments in the Administration Building as well as Virtual Appointments are being accepted at this time. This Judicial Emergency will continue while the county works to combat the COVID-19 virus.

Bucks County Register of Wills Linda Bobrin recognizes that, despite the ongoing health crisis, estates still need to be opened and that people are still seeking to be married. Accordingly, Register Bobrin announces the initiation of a pilot program that utilizes teleconferencing technology to open estates and to obtain marriage licenses.

We Have Moved!
Register of Wills/Clerk of the Orphans' Court can now be found on the 6th Floor of the Administration Building (three floors up from old location).

Marriage Records may be searched here.

Bucks County Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans' Court Issues Consumer Alert for Parties Requesting Marriage Certifications
Requesting A Marriage Certificate -  Video Tutorial 
Virtual Marriage License Application Tutorial 

The Bucks County Clerk of Orphans' Court is pleased to assist you apply for your marriage license. Please see the bottom of this page for a complete list of fees (yellow table), and contact information and hours of operation (last information on page).

Applicants may complete our online application, which is on our public access site (here). Once you are at the site, click, "Login as Guest" then, "e-file Marriage Application."

After completing your online application, both applicants must appear together in person in our office in either Doylestown or Levittown during regular business hours. Appointments are not necessary at our Doylestown location, however, appointments are encouraged at our Levittown location. There is no residency requirement for a marriage license, however, this is a Pennsylvania marriage license and the marriage ceremony must take place within the Commonwealth. 

You may appear at either our Levittown or Doylestown offices and complete the application in person, if you do not wish to complete your application online.

All Marriage Licenses:

  • Are issued after a 3 day waiting period

  • Are valid for 60 calendar days

  • Can be used only in the State of Pennsylvania

All Applicants Must, at the time they appear before the Clerk of the Orphans' Court:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Submit Social Security number
  • Bring government issued Photo ID
  • Bring proof of dissolution of most recent previous marriage
    • Divorce Decree (photocopy acceptable)
    • Civil Annulment (photocopy acceptable)
    • Death Certificate (must be original)
  • Bring at least $60 cash to the Orphans’ Court or
  • Add $20 for each Marriage Certificate you want to order
    • $80 cash = Application and License + One Certificate
    • $82 Money Order = Application and License from District Justice + One Certificate
    • This certificate is your legal proof of marriage and will be needed for changing records and other offical purposes.
  • Other fees may be charged for additional services

If Either Applicant:

  • Has had a legal name change
    • Bring name change Decree
    • Including permission to resume maiden name after divorce
  • Does not speak English, you must bring your own interpreter
    • Your interpreter must be over 18
    • Bring interpreter’s government issued Photo ID
  • Has a foreign document, you must bring:
    • the original document
    • an English translation with an affidavit of accuracy and a notarized signature
  • Is a Minor age 16 or 17, you must bring
    • Your custodial parent or guardian
    • Minor’s government issued Photo ID
    • Minor’s Birth Certificate or proof of guardianship
    • Parent or guardian’s Photo ID
  • Is a minor age 16 or 17 with no legal guardian or parents’ whereabouts are unknown; you must petition a judge to appoint a temporary legal guardian. 
    • Please contact the office for further directions
  • Is a minor under 16, you must petition a judge for permission to marry
    • Please contact the office for further directions
  • Is incarcerated, you must have the warden contact our office to make arrangements for coming to the courthouse to apply.
    • Please contact the office for further directions
  • “Is weak minded, insane, of unsound mind or is under guardianship as a person of unsound mind,” you must petition the court for permission to marry. 
    23 Pa.C.S. § 1304 (c).

    Please contact the office for further directions

    Applicants may not:

    • be under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of application
    • be related to each other closer than second cousins
    • For other prohibitions, check with the Clerk of Orphans' Court or your attorney

    Si el solicitante no habla Inglés, usted debe traer un traductor Inglés con usted cuando usted solicita. El traductor debe tener dieciocho años de edad con identificación. Los solicitantes no pueden ayudarse unos a otros durante la aplicación. Para los documentos en otros idiomas aparte del Inglés, por favor traiga el documento original y una traducción al Inglés, con una declaración jurada de la precisión y la firma ante notario.

    Если какой-либо заявитель не говорит на английском языке, вы должны принести переводчика в возрасте старше восемнадцати лет, и лицензировать свои водительские права или паспорт с вами, когда вы подаете заявление. Вы не можете переводить друг друга во время нанесения. Для документов на других языках, кроме английского, пожалуйста, принесите копию исходного документа, и переведены на английский, с точностью и под присягой, и нотариально заверенные подписью.

    *Spanish and Russian translations produced using Google Translate http://translate.google.com/#

    Waiver of the Waiting Period

    In cases of an emergency or where extraordinary circumstances exist, the Judge of the Orphans’ Court Division, upon petition on a form supplied by the Clerk, may grant a waiver of the three-day waiting period.  23 Pa.C.S. § 1303 (b). Emergencies are typically grave illnesses or a military applicant on active duty and preparing for deployment in less than three days.  There is no fee for an active military applicant to request this waiver. In all other cases there is an additional $75 fee. 

    Out-of-state applicants: travel plans are not an emergency!  Please plan accordingly.


    The Bucks County Orphans’ Court does not determine who is recognized as an officiant to solemnize a marriage.  We also will not recommend an officiant.  The PA Marriage Law, Title 23 PA C.S. § 1503states who is qualified to officiate a marriage ceremony in Pennsylvania. It is the couples’ responsibility to arrange the ceremony and ensure the validity of the officiant. We will not confirm or deny a particular person's qualification to officiate your ceremony.

    Civil officials who can perform marriages can be contacted at:
    Magisterial District Judges (not all MDJs perform marriages. Please call for availability)
    Bucks County Mayors 


    Our office will issue a Self-uniting marriage license as provided by the Marriage Law, 23 Pa.C.S.  § 1502. Please inform the clerk when you start your application if you wish to use this type of license so we may use the correct form. 

    Marriage Certificate

    If you need proof of marriage, a Marriage Certificate may be requested in person at our office or through a mailed request.  The charge is $20 per certificate.  Please use the Certified Marriage Certificate Request form to bring to the office or mail in. Please have both names as applied, the date of marriage and, if possible, the Volume and Number of the record.  If mailing a request please make checks payable to “Orphans’ Court” and include a self-addressed envelope for return use.

    If you need proof of marriage for a foreign government you may need an Apostille.  Please see the state website for further information.  You must notify the Orphans’ Court clerk if you need an Apostille. 

    Common Law Marriage

    “No common-law marriage contracted after January 1, 2005, shall be valid. Nothing in this part shall be deemed or taken to render any common-law marriage otherwise lawful and contracted on or before January 1, 2005, invalid.”  23 Pa.C.S. § 1103. 

    If you believe you have a valid Common Law Marriage please contact your attorney for further advice. 


    If any couple believes they have been unfairly denied a Marriage License, you have the right to appeal to the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas under the Marriage Law, 23 Pa. C.S.A. §1308. 

    Fees: Effective February 1, 2007

    Application fee is payable only in CASH or MONEY ORDER.  Personal checks are not accepted.




    Marriage license application*



    Certified copy of marriage license
    (NO Charge for Military with ID**)



    Each consent



    Affidavit of name verification



    Special petitions:


       Appointment of guardian ad litem


    Only available in Doylestown

       Under age 16


    Only available in Doylestown

       Waiver, 3-day waiting period:


    Only available in Doylestown







       Petition, mental deficiency


    Only available in Doylestown

    Outside Office Appearance $125.00 

    *Includes computerization/records management surcharge.
    **Two copies are automatically issued after marriage ceremony if Military ID was shown at the time of Application

    Additional Services may require additional fees. 

    Please Note:
    All information on this webpage is to inform and not to advise. It is based upon Pennsylvania law. The statements are general, and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here. 


    Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court
    Linda Bobrin, Esquire, Register of Wills & Clerk of the Orphans' Court
    Douglas Wayne, Esquire, 1st Deputy
    Colleen F. Strunk, 2nd Deputy
    Melissa V. Bond, Solicitor

    Bucks County Courthouse
    55 East Court Street 
    6th Floor, Administration Building
    Doylestown, PA 18901

    Phone: 215-348-6265
    Fax: 215-348-6156 



    Hours of Operation: The Register of Wills/Clerk of the Orphans' Court is open for virtual appointments and limited in person appointments within the Administration building. Please call to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins will not be accepted. The office will be open extended hours until 7:30 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month (for virtual appointments). You may reach us at 215-348-6265.

    • Before seeking an appointment, we ask the Bar and public to seriously consider whether the specific matter at issue would be considered exigent circumstances by an objective observer.
    • Access to the Register of Wills/Clerk of Orphans’ Court office on the Sixth Floor of the Administration Building is now limited. A system is being implemented by which all emergency business before the Register/Clerk will be conducted in an alternative reception area on the Second Floor of the Administration Building.
    • All visitors, including members of the bar with passes allowing access to the Administration Building, are asked to check in with the security officers.
    • For more information, please view the Message to the Bar   from Linda Bobrin, Register of Wills & Clerk of the Orphans’ Court

    Offsite Location for Probate & Marriage License Application: 
    Lower Bucks Government Service Center 
    7321 New Falls Road
    Levittown, PA 19055
    Phone: 267-580-3585
    Hours: Effective Immediately, this office is closed.

    Appointments are encouraged at this location