Effective today, Wednesday, November 16, 2016, Bucks County Bridge No. 280 was re-opened to traffic following repairs coordinated by the County Department of General Services. Commissioner Charles Martin helped Upper Makefield Township officials cut the ceremonial ribbon on the $500,000-plus bridge rehabilitation.
Bridge No. 280 carries E. Brownsburg Rd. over Jericho Creek in Upper Makefield Township. The bridge originally was constructed in 1920. It is a 46-foot long by 16-foot, one-inch wide curb to curb two span reinforced concrete T-beam structure. Due to deterioration to the concrete T-beams and the underside of the concrete deck as well streambed scour noted along one of the abutments and pier during a regularly scheduled biennial bridge inspection, the Bucks County Purchasing department put out a proposal for repairs during May, 2015. Once the bid was awarded, the necessary permitting for rehabilitation was initiated with design completed during June, 2016. Bids were received on July 25, 2016, the Commissioners approved the construction award to Clearwater Construction, Inc. of Mercer, Pa on August 17, 2016, and construction began during September, 2016.
The scope of the bridge rehabilitation consisted of the repair of concrete T-beams and underside of the deck, repair and modification of concrete brush curbs, installation of structure mounted and approach guide rail, repointing of stone masonry abutments and wingwalls, stream channel cleaning, backfilling of scour holes, and repaving of the deck and its approaches.
The bridge design and permitting was completed by McCormick Taylor of Exton with oversight provided by Bucks County’s bridge consultant, Carroll Engineering Corporation of Warrington.
First responders have been advised of the re-opening, which marks the second County bridge re-opening in the last three weeks. Bridge No. 280 is one of 115 owned and maintained by the County of Bucks and its General Services department.