Home   |   About Bucks   |   Site Map     Twitter Facebook

2015 News

Commissioners Reopen County Bridge No. 221 (Traugers Crossing Rd. Over Gallows Run) in Nockamixon Twp.

June 19, 2015

The Board of Bucks County Commissioners has reopened County Bridge No. 221, which carries Traugers Crossing Rd. over Gallows Run in Nockamixon Township. A brief bridge ribbon-cutting ceremony took place on the afternoon of Friday, June 19.

Commissioner Loughery looks at the plaque on Bridge #221 in Nockamixon.“We are glad to put this historically significant structure back in service for the residents of upper Bucks County,” Commissioner Chairman Robert G. Loughery stated. “This is another project that is part our focused effort to ensure the future viability of our 115 County-owned bridges.”

County Bridge No. 221 was originally constructed in 1893 and reconstructed in 1936. It is a 51-foot long by 15-foot, nine-inch wide single span steel Pratt pony truss structure. Due to significant structural deterioration over the years, in addition to the lack of adequate truss protection to vehicular impact that was discovered during a biennial bridge inspection, the bridge was closed to traffic during October, 2013. Final design and permitting was completed by September, 2014. Bids were received on October 22, 2014, and construction started in January, 2015.

County Bridge No. 221 was considered “structurally deficient” due to the condition of the bridge’s steel members. With the completion of the repairs, the bridge will no longer have that designation. In addition, by eliminating the “structurally deficient” designation, the County was permitted to use State Act 13 Highway Bridge Funds to cover the entire construction cost of $594,070. The bridge design and permitting was completed by Carroll Engineering Corporation of Warrington. Construction was performed by Eastern Highway Specialists, Inc. of Wilmington, DE.

Bridge #221 - Traugers Crossing Rd. over Gallows RunThe scope of the bridge rehabilitation consisted of replacement of the bridge’s steel stringer beams and steel floor beams, replacement of its wooden deck with open grid steel grating, rehabilitation and painting of the steel trusses, and installation of structure mounted railing across the bridge span. Other work included reconstruction of the concrete abutment seats and concrete back walls, reconstruction of portions of the stone masonry wing walls, installation of approach guiderail and bridge signage, repaving of the approaches and repointing of the stone masonry substructure.