Home   |   About Bucks   |   Site Map     Twitter Facebook

2014 News

Commissioners Cut Ribbon to Reopen County Bridges No. 198 (Springfield Twp.) & No. 224 (Nockamixon Twp.)

July 22, 2014

On Monday, July 21, 2014, the Board of Bucks County Commissioners cut the ribbon on a pair of reconstructed bridges that were repaired over the last eight months. Commissioners Robert G. Loughery, chairman, Charles H. Martin and Diane M. Ellis-Marseglia, LCSW, re-opened to traffic County Bridge No. 198 (which carries Bridge St. over Cooks Creek in Springfield Twp.) and County Bridge No. 224 (which carries Kintner Rd. over Gallows Run in Nockamixon Twp.).

“We are pleased to have these two bridges back in service for our residents, and we thank them for their patience during the construction process,” Chairman Loughery stated. “We all know that our region has endured some difficult weather in recent years. These structures are designed for durability and anticipated use for generations to come.”

Bridge #198 in Springfield TownshipBRIDGE NO 198 FACTS: Bridge No. 198 was originally constructed in 1882 and reconstructed in 1950. It is a 55-foot long by 15-foot, six-inch wide single span steel Pratt Pony truss structure. Due to structural deterioration, the bridge was closed to traffic during December, 2013. Final design and permitting were completed prior to the bridge closure. Bids were received October 2, 2013, and construction began in December of last year.

The scope of the bridge rehabilitation consisted of replacement of the bridge’s steel stringer beams, replacement of the open grid steel grate deck, rehabilitation and painting of steel trusses, and installation of structure mounted railing across the bridge span. Additional work included reconstruction of the concrete abutment seats and concrete back walls, construction of stone faced concrete moment slabs, installation of approach guiderail, installation of bridge signage, repaving of the approaches, installation of concrete abutment collars and stone rock protection, and re-pointing of stone masonry substructure.

The bridge design and permitting was completed by Carroll Engineering Corporation of Warrington. Construction was performed by Professional Construction Contractors, Inc., of Bethlehem, PA, as a cost of $689,213.50.

Bridge #198 in Nockamixon TownshpBRIDGE NO. 224 FACTS: Bridge No. 224 was originally constructed in 1877 and reconstructed in 1937. It is a 47-foot long by 15-foot, three-inch wide single span steel Pratt Pony truss structure. Due to deterioration of the steel and masonry, it was closed to traffic during October, 2013. Final design and permitting was completed by November of last year. Bids were received December 11, 2013, and construction commenced in February, 2014.

The scope of the bridge rehabilitation consisted of replacement of the bridge’s steel stringer beams, replacement of the wooden deck with an open grid steel grate, rehabilitation and painting of steel trusses, and installation of structure mounted railing across the bridge span. Additional work included reconstruction of the concrete abutment seats and concrete back walls, reconstruction of the stone masonry abutment as the southeast corner, construction of stone faced concrete moment slabs, installation of approach guiderail, installation of bridge signage, repaving of the approaches, installation of concrete abutment collars and stone rock protection, and re-pointing of stone masonry substructure.

The bridge design and permitting was completed by Carroll Engineering Corporation of Warrington. Construction was performed by Bi-State Construction Company, of Easton, PA, at a cost of $620,233.

The Bucks County General Services division maintains 115 County bridges.