During a pair of afternoon ribbon cutting ceremonies, the Board of Bucks County Commissioners re-opened a pair of county bridges. The twin ceremonies involved County Bridge No. 195 on Township Rd. over Cooks Creek in Springfield Township and County Bridge No. 150 on Gayman Rd. over the East Branch of the Neshaminy Creek in Plumstead Township.
“We are pleased to re-open these bridges to traffic, and we thank residents and first-responders for their patience during the repair process,” Commissioner Chairman Robert G. Loughery said, adding that emergency personnel have been notified as to the openings.
The Township Rd. bridge was built in 1961 and is an 84-foot long by 33-feet, six-inch wide single span pre-stressed box beam structure. Due to structural deterioration to the pre-stressed box beams discovered during a regularly scheduled biennial bridge inspection, the bridge was closed to traffic during March, 2012. At that time, the necessary permitting for rehabilitation of the bridge was initiated, with final design commencing in January, 2013. Bids were received on June 26, 2013, and construction proceeded during September, 2013.
The scope of the Township Rd. bridge rehabilitation consisted of replacement of the bridge’s non-composite adjacent pre-stressed concrete box beam superstructure with pre-stressed box beams and composite reinforced concrete deck. Additional work included replacement of elastomeric bearings, reconstruction of the concrete abutment seats, construction of stone-faced concrete parapets, installation of approach guiderail, repaving of the approaches, minor repairs to the reinforced concrete superstructure, and the installation of grouted stone rip rap scour protection at the abutments.
The Township Rd. project design and planning was completed by Carroll Engineering Corporation of Warrington. Construction was performed by Clearwater Construction, Inc. of Mercer, PA, at a cost of $700,000.
The Gayman Rd. bridge was originally constructed in 1887 and reconstructed in 1934. It is a 57-foot long by 15-feet, nine-inch wide single span steel pratt pony truss structure. Due to significant structural deterioration to the structural steel stringers and steel truss components – in addition to the lack of adequate truss protection to vehicular impact discovered during a regularly scheduled biennial bridge inspection, the bridge was closed to traffic during June, 2012. Final design commenced the following month. Bids were received March 13, 2013, and construction began in June, 2013.
The scope of work of Gayman Rd. rehabilitation consisted of replacement of the bridge’s steel stringer beams, replacement of wooden deck with an open grid steel grate, rehabilitation and painting of steel trusses, and the installation of structure mounted railing across the bridge span. Additional work included reconstruction of the concrete abutment seats and concrete back walls, construction of stone-faced concrete moment slabs, installation of approach guiderail, installation of bridge signage, repaving of the approaches, and re-pointing of the stone masonry substructure. The bridge design and permitting was completed by Carroll Engineering Corp., and construction was performed by Ettore Ventresca & Sons, Inc. or Warrington at a cost of $438,825.