Commissioners Cut Ribbon to Re-Open County Bridge No. 204 (Jugtown Hill Rd.) in Tinicum Township
During an early-afternoon ribbon cutting ceremony, Bucks County Commissioners Robert G. Loughery, chairman, and Charles H. Martin re-opened one of the 115 bridges the county government owns and maintains. County Bridge No. 204 carries Jugtown Hill Rd. over the Pennsylvania Canal in Tinicum Township. Joining the commissioners for the event were Tinicum Township Manager Linda McNeill and Treasurer Teri Lewis.
Prior to its $2.1 million rehabilitation, Bridge No. 204 was a one-lane, 60-foot long single span "steel through girder" structure. Built in 1921, it suffered structural and geometric deficiencies over the ensuing decades. In 2000, Bucks County initiated the necessary design and permitting for a replacement bridge. The new bridge is a 75-foot long single span "prestressed adjacent box beam superstructure" with composite reinforced concrete deck and reinforced concrete abutments and wingwalls. In addition, the new bridge provides two vehicle lanes and a sidewalk.
Due to the structure's location within the National Historic resource of the Pennsylvania Canal, County officials incorporated several context sensitive features in the bridge design. These features include: constructing the new bridge abutments behind the existing abutments to keep construction activities outside the canal prism; ornamental humpback timber tissues on the exterior of the fascia beams; a natural Bucks County stone veneer on the abutments and wingwalls; and use of a painted structure mounted railing system across the bridge.
Bridge construction was completed by Blooming Glen Contractors, Inc., of Blooming Glen, at a cost of $1.76 million. The bridge design was performed by Carroll Engineering Company of Warrington, at a cost of $185,000. Construction management by Pennoni Associates, Inc. brought the total cost of the job to just over $2.1 million.